Located in a quiet area by the Spree and comfortably reachable via public transport, the recording studio, shared with fellow sound engineer Francesco De Dominicis, is a good balance between analog and digital hardware, aiming at taking the best from both worlds. It is divided in 2 areas, a control room and a live room, both acoustically treated to minimise unwanted noises from outside and to optimise the rooms acoustics.
We have recently installed an amazing Audient ASP4816 analog in-line mixing console, some beautiful, military-grade Bittree studio patch-bays and other esoteric professional cabling/stage boxes from Mogami, custom made for us at Pro Audio L.A. All the gear, and the mixer, is now housed inside a super ergonomic black desk from BusoAudio and in a rolling rack underneath.
Thanks to these enhancements, we can now acquire up to 32 audio channels using all-analog paths from both the desk and our external preamps (Universal Audio, Solid State Logic and Focusrite) through state-of-the-art converters, and mix up to 64 analog channels (using desk, outboard eq, processing, and the Neve 8816), infinite tracks in the digital domain, or choose an hybrid approach. All this flexibility means that we are able to offer different options and workflows, depending on one’s needs, sound preferences, timing and budget.
Moreover, we can rely upon a network of other studios and are also equipped to offer location recordings in churches, auditorium or private places.
- AUDIENT ASP4816 (16inputs, 48chs at mixdown)
- NEVE 8816 (16inputs)
- Antelope Orion 32+ (64 i/o)
- Ferrofish A16 (16 i/o)
- Quested S8R (+/- Subwoofer)
- Ks Digital Coax C5
- Focal CMS 40
- Beyerdynamic D-770 Pro
- AKG K121 studio
- Beyerdynamic DTX 910
- Presonus Hd7
- 2x AKG K99 Perception
- Dpa 2006 Stereo set (2x, matched pair, omni)
- AKG 414 XLS II (2x, multi)
- Neumann TLM 102 (cardioid)
- Braingasm Lab Magnitube (Tube mic, multi polar pattern)
- Beyerdynamic MC 910 (2x, omni)
- Beyerdynamic MC 930 stereo set (2x, cardioids)
- Electro Voice Re20 (dyn, cardioid)
- Audio Technica ATM 250 DE (dual capsule mic)
- Shure Sm57 (2x)
- Shure Sm 58 (2x)
- Sennheiser Md 421 (cardioid)
- Sennheiser E 906 (2x, supercardioid)
- Se electronics 2002 A (multi polar pattern)
- Rode NT 4 (stereo xy mic)
- Superlux S502 (O.R.T.F. mic)
- More on request
- 2x SSL Alpha Channel
- 2x Focusrite ISA 828 (8 Ch. pre)
- Universal Audio 470-d (4 Ch. Hybrid transistor/tube pre)
- More available on request
- SSL XLOGIC Stereo Compressor
- 2x Empirical Labs EL8X-S Distressor (stereo pair)
- Looptrotter Emperor
- T.C. Electronic M One XL
- More available on request
CABLING & ROUTING
- Bittree Patchbays
- Custom made Pro Audio L.A. stagebox
- Mogami, Vovox and Cordial cabling
COMPUTER Mac Mini (2018), ssd Hd, 32 GB RAM, connected to 2x 4K screens
SOFTWARE Steinberg Cubase 10.5 PRO & 9.5, Avid Pro Tools 11, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 10, 9.5 & 8, Ableton Live 9.6 Suite & 10.1, several Waves plugins & bundles, FabFilter mix bundle & Saturn, Izotope Music Production Suite (Ozone 9 Advanced, Neutron 3 Advanced, Nectar 3, Vocal Synth 2, Insight 2, RX7), Izotope Trash 2, Exponential Audio Reverbs, SSL Native, Valhalla, T.C. Electronic plugins, Acustica Audio, Antares Autotune & Celemony Melodyne, All Native Instruments Plugins + Komplete 9 & 11 Ultimate Libraries, Soundhack, and more.
- Various microphones accessories (pop filters, Se Electronics Reflection Filter) and mic stands [baby (3x), standard (12x) and tall (2x)].
- Behringer Powerplay Pro 8 HA8000 (8 channel high power headphones mixing and distribution amplifier).
- Fender acoustic & electric guitars.
- Elektron MACHINEDRUM SPS-1 mkII, Moog Mother32, Anode Meeblip.
- Novation Remote 25 SL Compact & Novation LaunchKey 25 midi keyboards/controllers.
- Guitar fx & boxes: Boss Delay DD-3, Tc Electronics Nova Repeater Delay, Cicognani Dragon Overdrive (boutique), Ft Elettronica FUZZ (Zvex clone), SUNN o))) LIFE PEDAL, Digitech Stereo Reverb RV-7 Hardwire, Alesis Bitrman, Digitech Stereo Jamman looper, Ernie Ball Volume pedal, Korg Tuner, e-bow.
- Focusrite Liquid Saffire LS56 (8 chs. Preamps & AD/DA converters)
- Focusrite Octopre MKII Dynamics (8 chs. Preamps & AD/DA converters)
- Focusrite ISA 828 w/ adat expansion (8 chs. preamps)
- Optional: MIDAS M32 (32 i/o)
- All the microphones from the studio, plus more on request if necessary
A live recording is the recording of a live performance. A location recording instead is a recording done on location, for example a theatre, an auditorium, a church or even a country house, generally without attending public. This kind of approach allows more creative freedom, a relaxed atmosphere and it can also help the musicians reach the right vibe, tightness, cohesion while playing all together. Moreover, recording in a wonderfully sounding place, like a church with a natural, long, reverb, can be very beneficial to the music and to the project itself.